Treatment for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding
To fully evaluate a woman experiencing abnormal uterine bleeding (AUB), a detailed history and physical exam must be done. Lab testing can help immensely in the evaluation. Uterine conditions should be evaluated by several diagnostic techniques:
- Endometrial Biopsy
- Transvaginal Ultrasound
- Sonohysterography or a saline infusion vaginal ultrasound
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
AUB can be managed medically or surgically. Expense and downtime are not usually issues since there are many surgical options that are either inexpensive or are usually covered by insurance.
Medical Therapies Include:
- Iron supplements
- NSAIDs (Motrin-like compounds)
- Hormonal agents (including bio-identical)
- GnRh agonists/antogoniels
- Anti-Progesterone agents
Surgical treatments for AUB have evolved into a wide array of options. Many require virtually no down time or time away from work. These treatments can be done in the office that has the special equipment necessary and are usually covered by insurance.
Surgical Options Include:
- Hysteroscopy with removal of just the abnormal problem area
- Ablation (several techniques)
Each condition is evaluated individually with a personalized recommendation for treatment.